The Lowdown on Remanufactured and Reconditioned Devices
Not only is remanufactured and/or reconditioning a strategy for keeping MFPs out of landfills, but it is also a cost-saving opportunity for cash-strapped office environments.
In most cases, manufacturers treat remanufactured products the same as a new device in terms of servicing and warranty. This is because remanufactured machines are typically completely disassembled and reassembled with new or recovered parts. Manufacturers replace items that aren’t necessarily worn but that might fail during the second life of that product. Remanufactured machines are also given a like-new cosmetic appearance. In addition, the meter on a remanufactured machine is typically reset to zero. The ideal customer for a remanufactured product is someone who is looking for value and does not need all the latest technology.
Unlike with a remanufactured machine, a used or reconditioned piece of equipment is not torn down to its raw components and then remanufactured through the factory, though it is thoroughly inspected and cleaned. It may still have scratches or dings, but is repainted and all the high-frequency-use components are replaced. Further, unlike with remanufactured machines, the meters are not set back to zero. The warranty is also typically different for a used or reconditioned machine than it is for a remanufactured machine.
Here are some questions to ask when buying remanufactured, reconditioned, or used equipment:
- Has the product been remanufactured or reconditioned and how are those terms defined?
- Do you need a device with the most up-to-date software and features available in the market today, or do you just need inexpensive copying, printing and scanning?
- Does the machine come with a warranty? If so, how is the warranty different from the warranty for a new piece of equipment?
- Does the vendor provide service contracts and do they include scheduled maintenance visits?
- Is the customer’s satisfaction guaranteed by the ability to return equipment that does not function correctly?